Florence, Colorado is a great central hub for all of your recreation needs. With a couple hotels , a full service bed and breakfast and several vacation rentals for your lodging needs all in a historic small town packed with antique shops and varied culinary options Florence is the place to be. We have several parks, the Arkansas river with a kayak play park, an 18 hole golf course all within city limits. Just a few miles away we have other parks with hiking, fishing, paddle boarding and other water activities. We are also just 25 miles from world class rock climbing on Shelf Road and the Royal Gorge.
You can download or purchase the Fremont Adventure Recreation guidebook with great information on mountain biking, hiking and rafting/kayaking. The Adventure Guide also has information on upcoming recreational events. You can pick up a copy at the Florence Chamber of Commerce and Canon City Chamber of Commerce.
The Shelf Road Rock climbing guide book is available at Red Canyon Cycles in Canon City or online (https://www.amazon.com/Shelf-Road-Rock-Rick-Thompson/dp/1892540983/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SMEQBRFNMMZ5JKTXSRJA#customerReviews)
For rules and additional park info visit the city website, https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/florencecolorado/parks-and-recreation-1.
- Pioneer Park (3rd & N. Pikes Peak Ave/67, View Map) – This park is at the center of town and the central location several festivals, events and the summer farmers market throughout the year. Pioneer Park is home to the city pool, a playground and a covered amphitheater.
- Pathfinder Park (20209 HWY 115, West of Florence, View Map) – This park located just outside Florence to the west is features soccer fields, walking trails, a fishing pond, a pavilion available for events, an arena and boat ramp for river access.
- Florence River Park (E 8th St, East of Florence View Map) – The park, located at the East end of town is a quiet park right on the river with a newly constructed Whitewater Play Park with a smooth surfable wave and an easy eddy to get you back into the action. This park is popular for fishing, swimming, tubing and kayaking.
- Florence Mountain Park (End of HWY 15, South of Florence View Map) – A few minutes outside town at the end of a long road that turns to gravel, this park is a nice green escape from the arid climate surrounding Florence. The park features an amphitheater, camping sites and the trailhead for the Newlin Creek Trail at the end of the road.
- Brush Hollow Reservoir (County Rd 129, West of 115, Penrose, View Map) – Just north of Florence this secluded flat water lake s great for fishing, kayaking or just hanging out for the day. The boat ramp is to the left when you enter the park on CR 129 or you can go around to the right for a clean restroom and pick your own beach. Water level varies depending on rain fall and water use.
- Lions Park (5th & Robin, Florence, View Map) – Lions Park is a small park with a playground, kids climbing wall, swings and a basketball court.
- Wilcox Park (5th & Gumaer St, Florence, View Map) – This park, just around the corner from Lions park, has two baseball fields. Reservations are required and can be made by calling City Hall 719-784-4848.
You can kayak, raft, canoe or just tube from Pathfinder Park to Florence River park on the Arkansas River. This is a mild float trip with some smaller rapids and a whitewater play park located at the end in Florence River Park. To start from Pathfinder Regional park follow the road marked fishing pond and boat ramp down to the river after the roundabout at Pathfinder Park. The boat ramp and parking lot is at the end of the gravel road.
Your takeout location is at Florence River Park ( View Map).
The Florence Pool with a climbing wall, adult swim times and diving boards it is a great way to cool down in the summer. The pool is located in Pioneer Park on the east side.
Fremont County is home to world-class rock climbing with over 1100 routes to choose from. Areas are rarely crowded.
- Shelf Road – https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105744267/shelf-road
- Phantom Canyon – https://www.mountainproject.com/area/111757529/phantom-canyon
- Oak Creek Canyon – https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105744442/oak-creek-canyon
- Newlin Creek – https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105744415/newlin-creek
Incredible mountain biking trails are located just outside Canon City about 8 miles west of Florence. These trails are rarely busy and provide a wide range of terrain and difficulty level. Plenty of water and basic bike tools are recommended.
- Oil Well Flats – https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8012084/oil-well-flats-trail-system
- South Canon – https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8016189/south-canon-trails
- Royal Gorge Park – https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8012706/royal-gorge-park
- Section 13 – https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8016190/section-13
- Hogbacks (Skyline Drive) – https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8012585/the-hogbacks
Hiking trails surround the area and multi-use trails listed above are also used by hikers/runners. Keep an eye out for other people and animals but trails are rarely busy. When visiting the links below read the trail reports and comments from other users for additional information and clarification.
- Newlin Creek Trail – https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7051086/newlin-creek-trail
- Beaver Creek Trail – https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7004046/beaver-creek-swa-loop
- Arkansas Riverwalk – https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7010989/arkansas-riverwalk. This trail ends to the west at Tunnel Drive trailhead.
- Tunnel Drive – https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4287302/tunnel-drive
There are two golf courses in the area. In Florence, you can enjoy Sumo Golf Village just off Highway 67 or 4 Mile Ranch Golf Club outside Canon City off Highway 50.
You can play soccer on the fields at Pathfinder Park. Soccer programs are run by Canon City Recreation and Parks District, https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/ccrec/youth-outdoor-soccer-fall-season/.
Baseball fields are available for public use at Wilcox Park.
A basketball court can be found at Lions Park.